Using Constraint Solver Sugar on Microsoft Windows with Cygwin
Last modified: Mon Feb 23 11:20:02 2009 JST
Currently, you need Cygwin to run
the constraint solver system Sugar on Microsoft Windows.
Installation of Cygwin
- You need at least 4G bytes free disk space and a few hours
(depending on your computer network connection speed) to install Cygwin.
- Visit http://www.cygwin.com
and download "setup.exe".
- Double click "setup.exe" to start installation.
- "Select Root Install Directory"
- Input "C:\cygwin" or any other appropriate folder for the Root Directory.
- "Select Packages"
- Click "All" ("Default" will be changed to "Install")
- Proceed the installation procedure following the instructions.
- After the installation, "Cygwin" icon will appear on your desktop,
- Double click "Cygwin" icon to open Cygwin terminal.
If Cygwin terminal window appears and no error messages are shown,
Cygwin is successfully installed.
(or other directory depending on what you input for the Root Directory)
is your home directory under Cygwin environment.
- If you want to add/update/remove software packages later,
run "setup.exe" again.
- If you didn't select "All" in the above,
the MiniSat solver might not work correctly.
Installation of MiniSat
Installation of Sun Java JDK (Java SE Development Kit)
- About 250M bytes free disk space is required to install Java JDK.
- Visit http://java.sun.com/javase/
and download "JDK 6 Update 6" or a newer version installer.
- Run the downloaded JDK installer.
- Follow the instructions to proceed installation.
- Check the folder name where the Java JDK commands are installed.
- Under standard installation procedure,
Java JDK is installed in "C:\Program Files\Java" folder and
the Java commands are located in "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_06\bin" folder.
- Set PATH environment variable as follows.
- Right-click "My Computer", and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click Environment variables.
- Click "New" of a user environment variable
(not system environment variable).
- Type "PATH" for a variable name, and
(the folder name where the Java commands are installed)
for the variable value.
- Open Cygwin terminal and check the installation as follows.
Installation of Sugar
- Visit Sugar web page
and download "sugar-v1-12.zip" and
move the downloaded zip file to your Cygwin home directory
- Alternatively, open Cygwin terminal and type
- Open Cygwin terminal.
- Type "unzip sugar-v1-12.zip".
- Type "cd sugar-v1-12".
- Type "nano bin/sugar" to edit the sugar command script.
- Change the first part as follows and save.
my $java = "java";
my $jar = "'C:\\cygwin\\home\\your_login_name\\sugar-v1-12\\bin\\sugar-v1-12.jar'";
my $solver = "minisat";
my $tmp = "sugar$$";
- Type "head bin/sugar" in Cygwin terminal to check your editing was correct.
- Type "bin/sugar examples/nqueens-8.csp" to run an example.
a q_1 4
a q_2 2
a q_3 8
a q_4 6
a q_5 1
a q_6 3
a q_7 5
a q_8 7
- Type "cp bin/sugar /usr/local/bin" to copy the sugar script to
"/usr/local/bin" directory so that you can run sugar without specifying
- Type "sugar examples/nqueens-8.csp" to confirm.